Our Parish History
We already exist over 120 years!
The first Mass at St. Frances was held in the parlour of the home of Miss Maggie Gorman who resided at 56th St. and 13th Ave. celebrating the first Mass was the Very Rev. Theodore Wucher, Provincial of the Mercy Fathers in America. In attendance that day were 125 people.
Shortly thereafter, funds were raised and property for the church was purchased. The church was located at 13th Ave. and 57th Street; the cornerstone was laid on May 8, 1892 by the Vicar General, Monsignor Michael May. Over 500 people came from the local vicinity to witness the ceremony.
The church was still unfinished. Inside the small, framed-out and sheathed building, a cross was hung, where the new altar would eventually stand. Outside, a large American flag affixed to the building fluttered in the breeze. The parish’s first pastor was the Rev. Michael H. Malloy.
The church was beautiful. There were three altars and a Communion rail made of Italian marble. On the side altars were marble statues of St. Joseph and the Blessed Virgin. Throughout the church were statues of St. Theresa, St. Patrick, St. Francis, St. Anthony and the Sacred Heart. The church held about 1000 people, in rows of pews made of oak.
The Fathers of Mercy left the parish on June 24, 1960 to concentrate on missionary work. The priests of the Diocese of Brooklyn arrived in the parish to carry on the good works accomplished before them.
In October of 1998 the parish has been taken over by the Pallotines. Reverend Canon Andrew Kurowski became the pastor. Reverends Leszek Wiecaszek and Slawomir Siok became the parochial vicars. As of today there are three priests working in the parish: Rev. Canon Andrew Kurowski – pastor, Rev. Anthony Zemula and Rev. Lukasz Dutkiewicz- vicar.
As of today, our parish is: